On June 15, 2022 President Biden signed a historic Executive Order meant to protect LGBTIQ+ folks across the country.
This year alone, more than 300 anti-LGBTIQ+ laws have been introduced in state legislatures, and many of them specifically target transgender children and their parents by banning access to gender-affirming care and support at school. The Biden administration is addressing these harmful, hateful, and discriminatory attacks head-on by taking direct action to be in solidarity with LGBTIQ+ people.
The Executive Order lays out protections for queer people, especially queer youth by:
- Addressing discriminatory legislative attacks against LGBTIQ+ children and families, directing key agencies to protect families and children;
- Preventing so-called “conversion therapy” with a historic initiative to protect children from the harmful practice;
- Safeguarding health care, and programs designed to prevent youth suicide;
- Supporting LGBTIQ+ children and families by launching a new initiative to protect foster youth, prevent homelessness, and improve access to federal programs; and
- Taking new, additional steps to advance LGBTIQ+ equality.
There’s still so much work to do to reduce the harm that the Republican party is causing, but this is such a great step!